The Virginia beach boardwalk map pdf House and Board Walk, Long Beach, Ca. The Pike operated under several names.
1979 was the year Long Beach city council refused to renew the land leases and demolished all of the structures and attractions it could that weren’t trucked away. The Pike museum is located in Looff’s Lite-A-Line at 2500 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90806. The first major attraction to the seashore at Long Beach was recreational bathing, long before trains and cars, when the only roads were dusty rutted paths littered with horse manure. With the surge of health-conscious new residents and the ease of access to a beach near the services of local merchants, Willmore City became a destination.
In 1888, Long Beach Land and Water Company bought William E. Willmore’s failed platt of Bixby’s Rancho Los Cerritos and changed the name to Long Beach in 1892. A grand bath house was constructed at the shore, scheduled to open Independence Day, 1902. Downtown Los Angeles as well as bringing bathers and families south to Pacific Ocean shoreline recreation.
Stretching Pine Avenue south from Ocean Avenue into the Pacific Ocean, the Long Beach Municipal Pier had an upper and lower deck to a service building on the end. Sheltered at the mouth of the Los Angeles River, the public pier served a range of purposes, primarily for trade and commerce, servicing freight and passenger shipping, but also served anglers fishing as well as pedestrian strolling. A simple wooden boardwalk was laid directly at the top of the sand west along the shoreline connecting the pier to the new bathhouse. The Pike” changed context from the original wooden boardwalk to the entire amusement zone. For a short time, the Long Beach Pier and Rainbow Pier both existed, sharing combined shore access at the Pine street incline.
Long Beach Pier eastward to Linden. Ocean and Long Beach Boulevards. Because of its shape, it was named “Rainbow Pier”. Filling of the shoreline area continued in the late 1950s and early 1960s with the Tidelands Filling Project.
The Pike may have discouraged some families from attending. In the 1950s, the area underwent another face-lift. Advertising with coupons appealing to families appeared in local newspapers. World War II modern look, and the park was renamed “Nu-Pike” as result of a write-in naming contest.
Most locals continued calling it “The Pike”. Railroad established service connecting communities along the line to offices and shopping in Downtown Los Angeles and bringing bathers and families south to shoreline recreation. The indoor freshwater pool and change rooms behind a colonnade and sundeck charged admission to its clear ‘vacuumed’ pool and waterslide. An interior balcony surrounding the pool and an outdoor one facing the beach offered people watching on reclining lounges. The name was later changed to “The Plunge”.